The Town of West Jefferson seeks proposals from qualified consultants to complete its inventory of the existing waterlines and replace all the lead lines and galvanized water lines downstream of a lead pipe
The Town of West Jefferson received a loan from the NC Dept. of Environmental Quality – Division of Water Infrastructure – and the State Water Infrastructure Authority (SWIA) for the purpose and goal of inventorying and replacing the lead service lines and galvanized water lines downstream of a lead pipe. The Engineering Report for projects that include replacement must be developed using the guidance found on our website (https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/water-infrastructure/i-have-funding/engineering-reportenvironmental-information).
Water System Background
The Town of West Jefferson’s serves approximately 800 customers and a year-round population of 1,279. The Town has GIS mapping data of all water system features. The data includes features such as line size, line material, feature age, etc.
Scope of Work
The following is an outline of the desired services to be performed.
The EPA requires a Lead Service Line (LSL) Inventory of both the private and public sides of the meter to be complete by October 16, 2024.
The Town of West Jefferson intends to use the Lead Service Line Replacement (LSLR) funding to complete its inventory of the existing waterlines and replace all the lead lines and galvanized water lines downstream of a lead pipe. A survey questionnaire was sent out to all the Town’s 800 services. 200 responses were received with only one possible connection needing to be replaced.
A Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) Survey of the remaining 600 services within the Town of West Jefferson will be conducted to determine if lead services exist. This will be accomplished by utilizing a “potholing” method whereby a vehicle similar to a sewer vac-truck is used to vacuum the dirt from atop the service line on each side of the water meter. The typical information collected during this phase will include the Address, Pipe Size, Material, and length from the meter to the foundation wall and from the meter to the watermain. All lead goosenecks identified will also be flagged for replacement. For lines needing to be replaced, the survey will also identify potential obstructions to replacing the line such as driveways, sidewalks, landscaping, etc.
Once the lines needing to be replaced have been identified, plans and specifications will be prepared and submitted to the Division of Water Infrastructure (DWI) for review and approval. The project will be bid and contracts awarded upon receipt of the Authorization to Award from DWI. A very conservative preliminary estimate is that approximately 300 services will need to be replaced.
An anticipated project budget with itemized tasks was prepared by our consulting engineer and included in the funded application. Work can begin upon receipt of a Formal Offer and Acceptance Document and Notice to Proceed from DWI.
Below are the timelines that are required by DEQ to complete this project:
|Find and Replace Projects|
|Scope of Work Submittal||December 1, 2023|
|Scope of Work Approval||February 1, 2024|
|Completion of LSLR Inventory Scope of Work||October 1, 2024|
|Engineering Report Submittal||April 1, 2024|
|Engineering Report Approval||June 1, 2024|
|Bid and Design Package Submittal||October 1, 2024|
|Bid and Design Package Approval||December 1, 2024|
|Advertise Project, Receive Bids, Submit Bid Information, and Receive Authority to Award||April 1, 2025|
|Execute Construction Contract(s)||June 1, 2025|
The project deliverables will be a document containing all the items listed in the scope of work.
The Consultant shall present the deliverables to the West Jefferson Board of Aldermen.
Describe the consultant’s approach to accomplishing the objectives stated in the
RFQ and identify methodology proposed. State your assumptions clearly. Include the decisions, products, data and corollary information that the consultant expects to be provided by Town staff.
Work Program Timeline
Include a timeline showing the estimated length of time for completion of the project (must meet DEQ’s timeline). Time estimates should be expressed in number of days/weeks without reference to a specific starting date. However, the submission should explain how quickly the consultant would be available to begin the project. The timeline should identify when draft and final work products will be submitted to Town staff and meet the timeline by NCDEQ.
Statement of Qualifications and Relevant Experience
Include any related supplemental information concerning key personnel or team experience which may be relevant. Please identify the project manager and principal contact to be assigned to the project.
The proposal shall be signed by an official who is authorized to bind the consulting
List at least three reference clients for whom similar or comparable services have been performed. Include the name, mailing address and telephone number of the primary
Fee schedules, including hourly rates for the prime consultant and all sub consultants,
meetings and reproduction costs, should be included.
The successful respondent will be required to maintain current insurance for the duration of the project. Insurance policies shall be maintained for Errors and Omissions, General Liability, Automobile, and Workers Compensation.
Submission & Selection Criteria
Submit your proposal in electronic format to Brantley Price, West Jefferson Town Manager, at [email protected] no later than December 22, 2023 at midnight. All firms are required to submit any questions regarding the RFQ to Brantley Price no later than December 1, 2023.
Minority-owned businesses are encouraged to apply.
All proposals will be evaluated by the Town West Jefferson with a recommendation for a specific firm to be contacted. Selection will be based on the following criteria:
Relevant Experience 20%
Quality of Proposal 10%
Team Qualifications 10%
Proposed Work Plan 20%
Experience with Town 25%
Schedule and Fees 15%
As recipient of the DEQ loan paying for the project, the consultant contract will be with the Town of West Jefferson. The contract shall be a fixed fee contract indicating the maximum total dollar amount chargeable to the project. This request is issued subject to the following terms and conditions:
1) This RFQ is a request for the submission of qualifications and is not itself an offer, nor should it be construed as an offer.
2) Town of West Jefferson expressly reserves the right to modify, reschedule, or cancel this request at any time, whether before or after any proposals have been submitted or received.
3) Town of West Jefferson reserves the right to reject and not consider any or all respondents in its discretion.
4) Town of West Jefferson reserves the right to reject any or all companies, to waive any informality in the RFQ process, or to terminate the RFQ process at any time, if deemed to be in its best interest.
5) In the event the party selected does not enter into the required agreement to carry out the
purposes described in this request, Town of West Jefferson may, in addition to any other rights or remedies available at law or in equity, commence negotiations with another person or entity.
6) In no event shall any obligations of any kind be enforceable against the Town of West Jefferson unless and until a written agreement is entered into.
7) The Respondent agrees to bear all costs and expenses of its response and there shall be no
reimbursement for any costs and expenses relating to the preparation of proposals submitted hereunder or for any costs or expenses incurred during negotiations.
8) By submitting a response to this request, the Respondent waives all rights to protest or seek any remedies whatsoever regarding any aspect of this request, the selection of another respondent or respondents with whom to negotiate, the rejection of any or all offers to negotiate, or a decision to terminate negotiations.
9) Town of West Jefferson reserves the right not to award a contract pursuant to the RFQ.
10) All items become the property of Town of West Jefferson upon submission and will not be returned to the Respondent.
11) Town of West Jefferson reserves the right to split the award between multiple applicants and make the award on a category-by-category basis and/or remove categories from the award.
12) Proposals will be evaluated using the factors listed in this RFQ.
13) Town of West Jefferson reserves the right to interview Respondents prior to making a final selection.